It's been a couple weeks here at Blaensaith! Lots of unpacking, decorating and clearing various buildings; of course mixed in with some exploring of the local area. The first project is getting the annexe looking nice, both the house and annexe are fairly dated, and are in need of some serious TLC. Luckily there's quite a few of us to tackle it! We've had some late nights painting and carpet laying, but it's been totally worth it as now the upstairs of the annexe is looking lovely. I'll put up some photos of it next time, once everything there is completely done.
One of the most important jobs to sort out when we got here was to set up temporary workshop for us and Simon. Eventually we will build new workshops on a different part of the land that overlook the sea in one direction, and the rolling hills on the other (office with a view anyone?). For now, Simon is up in one of the spare bedrooms, and we are in a shed/lean-to next to the stone milking barn.
It was filled with old milking equipment and various bits of junk, with some rather suspicious smelling chemical stains on the floor. We spent the first day clearing, scrubbing and painting. Surprising what a bit of elbow grease can do the brighten a place up! Next we added in some workbenches, made of out pallets (what else?!) and some sheets of ply we ripped off an old barn.
We wanted to eventually install a wood burner as it was so cold in the workshop that it was impossible to stay out there for any longer than a couple hours at a time. There was one up for grabs made out of an old oil cannister in the static caravan. However the workshop roof is made of asbestos, and we certainly didn't want to start hacking that up to cut a hole for the flue. Now I have to mention that the weather here has been pretty fantastic the last couple weeks. Although it's been cold, we've lots of beautiful sunshine, blue skies and no rain. One night it tipped it down, which is fine, we knew what we'd signed to by moving here). It did however reveal some problems, the next morning we realised that part of the roof was cracked when we walked into a very wet workshop. We very carefully replaced that part of the roof with some wriggly tin that we ripped off another old barn (it's awesome how much material there is lying around waiting to be used). This was safe to cut up for a flue, so we were able to install a wood burner! I am so happy!
On Sunday morning we got a good introduction to life in the country, when out of our bedroom window we saw some cows strolling past the stables. We all rushed outside to get a better look by which point they had wondered into one of the fields. Another farmer had found them roaming in the road so guided them onto our property, knowing that there weren't any other animals to worry about. A couple of hours later someone turned up on a quad bike to round them up and take them home. Apparently this kind of thing is quite normal and happens every now and then, but that didn't make it any less exciting for us to have these beauties walking around in the back garden.
There's been so much else going on here, but I want to wait until the rooms are all completely done to show the difference, so until next time!